Friday, June 12, 2009

Organic Insurance

One of my many observations from working at a grocery store is that of the increasing number of “organic” items, from organic rice to organic beans; from organic barbeque sauce, to organic chocolate chips.  My understanding is that organic means that the product was not tampered with as it was growing and processing.  In other words, no pesticides, herbicides, or any other -cides.  I’m not sure how that works out.  I remember neglecting my farms on Sim Farm as a kid and all my crops crapping out on me.  Little did I know that I would start a fad.

So when I use organic, I’m referring to the intentional neglect of something in order to allow it to become more favorable or desirable. 

The topic of this particular blog is that of insurance, more specifically that of the life variety.  As in that annoying little bill that you pay every month that that you never seem to see a return on.  That’s because you don’t.

Let’s just pretend for a moment that there is a way that you can enjoy the benefits of life insurance without the contracts, written checks, and headaches.  Let’s imagine a world without door-to-door insurance salesmen.  Let’s conjure up a society in which “Bob” doesn’t have to worry about making the decision to either starve a slim bank account or to protect his family financially just in case he were struck by lightning ate age 34.

This conceptualized idea is something what we call free market capitalism.  If we create a market for our organs instead of donating them, our little imaginary world becomes reality.  No more insurance payments, no more junk mail from Metlife, no more worries.

I’m going to compare this market to that of buying or selling a used car.  If you were looking to sell your 2003 Chevy Malibu, you would make sure the engine ran well, the body looked good and the car was clean.  Can you imagine how much healthier people would be if they knew the value of their organs?  No more drugs, no more cigarettes, no more inorganic rice.  People would run a 5k everyday.  I know I wouldn’t consume as much potato chips as I currently do.  

A 2002 Ford Taurus would generally sell for quite a bit more than a 1994 Taurus because it would have fewer miles on it.  The younger the person is when they die, the more valuable their organs would become.  

The market is out there.  Just ask John Q.  Waiting lists are a mile long for people who are in need of a new kidney.  How many diabetics are out there that would want a new pancreas?  How many victims of heart failure would pay top dollar to get a new one?  How many people do you know take weekly trips to the hospital for dialysis treatments?

So I say leave the charities up to the Salvation Army.  Let’s create a new market.  Perhaps this may destroy another market, but I don’t think the makers of the cassette tape took it to hard when compact discs took over.  Better technology, better ideas, and better ways of doing things make this world a better place.

This idea is what I call “organic insurance”.


Disclaimer:  Don’t call me a hypocrite just because my driver’s license indicates that I am an organ donor.


Next weeks topic:  Bad drivers.

2 comments:

  1. Be careful with being a donor. In SC, they can take anything they want and family does not have a say as long as you signed to be a donor. I went to the DMV to get my license renewed with my new address, and they handed me a "contract" to be a donor. I asked them if upon my death, whether or not my wife would have any saying in what parts get taken, and they said "no." Needless to say, after all these years, I am finally no longer a donor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. albert...it's anitra. i'm glad you are blogging. and although it would be fun to see pictures of your cute little baby, this is also fun. your sarcasm kills me. thanks for making me laugh about all of this craziness that you've been posting about.

    ReplyDelete