Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Inspired to fail

If any of my readers are at all like me, you may be tired of all the inspirational sports movies that Hollywood has barraged us with in recent years. To be completely honest, I haven’t watched “Blindside”, “Rudy”, or “Hoosiers”, but I have seen “Remember the Titans” and “Coach Carter”. It just seems to me that there are only so many inspirational story lines to go around before you’ve seen it all.

In the aftermath of Super Bowl XLIV, I can’t but help to imagine the movie that is going to come out in five years about New Orleans and the ensuing “Seabiscuit” story line that will dupe us into thinking that New Orleans is a great American city. That’s right, it’s only a matter of time before “Invictus II: XLIV” comes to a big screen near you.

And how much inspiration have these movies actually garnered in the lives of the people who view them? After watching “Miracle”, I played racquetball against a much better opponent and still got slaughtered.

After watching “Cool Runnings”, I lost by almost two minutes in the 400 meter hurdles.

Before a golf tournament, I watched Tiger Woods’ top 10 shots of his career in an effort to at least help myself think that I had a chance at not coming in last place. The result, 2nd to last place by 2 strokes.

I was set up to fail by the empty inspiration that Hollywood fed to my already sunken morale. It’s just a matter of time before this instant classic does the same for you.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you are terrible at sports. Kidding - yes, we are all duped by Hollywood - can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I highly agree that sports movies are becoming a cliche, it's the ongoing theme of david and goliath. People like thinking they have a chance because it drives them to try and set high goals, and some times it works. That's what's so fun about them. People like to see losers win because if we watched movies where winners won all the time, that's hardly a plot and doesn't give us motivation to keep pushing through whatever challenges we face.

    ReplyDelete